Canada, Ontario and Doug Ford
Digest more
Top News
Impacts
Ontario’s premier reiterated his call for Canada to strike a bilateral trade deal with the US, cutting out Mexico, hours before tariffs on global imports were set to be unveiled by US President Donald...
From Bloomberg
Ontario Premier Doug Ford discusses Canada’s plan to retaliate to the new U.S. tariffs and warns Americans will be hurt by President Trump’s actions.
From NBC News
Read more on News Digest
I had an interesting interview last night with Premier Doug Ford of Ontario, one of Canada’s loudest critics of President Trump’s tariff policy. Canada was not on the list President Trump held up in the Rose Garden,
Ford pickups had their best start to a year in 20 years, according to the Blue Oval. In March, F-Series sales rose 38%, resulting in a first quarter increase of 24%. The all-electric F-150 Lightning, however, was down 7.2% for the quarter.
Just hours before new import levies are set to be imposed on Canada by the U.S., Ontario Premier Doug Ford told NBC’s Meet the Press that the “only thing acceptable thing is zero tariffs,” while citing the many negative consequences to come for both sides.
Ford's first quarter sales were off 1.3% compared to a year earlier, largely due to the discontinuation last year of its Ford Edge SUV in Canada.
Shares Ford rose Monday morning, as U.S. President Donald Trump said in an interview over the weekend that he “couldn’t care less” if automakers increased their prices due to tariffs on vehicle imports.
Explore more
Ontario Premier Doug Ford calls for a united 'team Canada approach' following US President Donald Trump's announcement of a 25% tariff on car imports. Ford seeks a first ministers meeting and supports retaliatory tariffs.
American automakers have relied on labor from neighbors to the north and south since the early days of auto production in North America.
Dan Begley spoke with the premier, who first left a voicemail, and said Ford told him to keep wearing his “Canada Is Not For Sale” hat. Begley also got an apology from the Jays and tickets to another game.